Review: Clean install of the minimal TeXLive system worked fine using
pmx2pdf, once I put pmx.tex in the right place. Bob has informed TeXLive
about the error.

I confirmed that m-tx works; in fact, the command "m-tx" actually produced a
pdf.

Next I uninstalled TeXLive and moved on to MiKTeX. Did a "basic install",
version 2.9.4521. The pmxab.exe in the bin folder is version 2.617 (2
versions old), and when explicitly invoked, it runs fine. There's also a
pmx.exe in that folder. Crossed my fingers and ran it. Got a popup saying
"missing pmx.lua...do you want to install it from the repository?"  At that
point I decided instead to see if I could find it in CTAN. Searching CTAN
for "pmx.lua" gave no results. But then, neither did a search for
"pmxab.exe", which I subsequently found manually in the archive as part of
the pmx package. ???

So I ran pmx.exe again, and this time took up MiKTeX's offer to install
pmx.lua from the repository. The automated installation process terminated
with a message in reference to pmx.lua saying "the Lua script could not be
found". The process had in fact created a folder "MiKTeX 2.9/scripts/pmx"
and inserted pmx2pdf.lua there. Typing "pmx" gave the same "missing pmx.lua"
as before. I couldn't figure out how to manually run pmx2pdf.lua...typing
pmx2pdf or pmx2pdf.lua didn't do anything because windoze didn't recognize
that as an executable. Renamed pmx2pdf.lua to pmx.lua. Typed pmx again, but
it still said it couldn't find pmx.lua. Refreshing the filename database
didn't help. So out of ideas for the time being, gave up on getting the
script to work.

I then proceeded to finish processing the TeX test file manually. On the
first etex pass, again files were missing, both from musixtex and
musixtex-fonts, but MiKTeX offered to install them and this time did so
successfully. Manually completing the sequence musixflx, etex, dvips did
result in a proper postscript file.

I find it quite curious that the basic MiKTeX install included pmxab.exe and
the mysterious pmx.exe (and maybe musixflx.exe; I didn't check soon enough),
but was still missing some musixtex files and fonts. Seems a little
"cart-before-the-horse."

None of this is do-or-die at all because I'm doing it on a backup machine,
and I have no intention at the moment to change my mainline TeX system. I'm
just trying to satisfy my curiosity about how well the default installation
procedures and pmx scripts work for current TeXLive and MiKTeX.

Comments are welcome.

--Don Simons