>|Gee all I did was start up the package manager, install musixtex,
 >|musixtex-fonts, pmx and m-tx; then everything works (when one uses the
 >|right commands, as explained in the documentation).

I uninstalled MiKTeX, re-installed the basic system, installed musixtex
et al and discovered there's something else one has to do with a "new"
MiKTeX installation: run the update wizard and update all packages.
It probably says that somewhere in the documentation for MiKTeX and
has nothing to do specifically with pmx except that the introduction
of pmx2pdf.exe likely requires this if one is going to use it. MiKTeX
seems to install binaries independently of which packages are installed,
but that doesn't mean they'll be operational. And it's definitely a
bad idea to "mix and match" files from distributions, some files from
MiKTeX, some files from CTAN. (It should be possible to install complete
*packages* from CTAN, following the install instructions there.)

Bob T.