Hi Luigi,
you are perfectly right with the stem directions. I am still in a phase of prototyping where I try to catch as much information as possible from the XML Format.

The same is true for beams. For example in the Telemann Flute Fantasy every beam is explicitely described in the XML code, whereas when I discard the beam information, PMX and MusixTex produce 99 % of the beaming as desired. Only one beam with a 16th rest in the middle has to be manually inserted.

So whenever my development goes into production it should have options to switch stems and beams on or off.

Anyhow I am not very satisfied with the XML code. It is not really standardized. Every Software maker has some specialties like <dot/> or <dot /> for a dotted note. And so there are many IF THEN ELSE statements in my program code. And it is not just a logical description of the music, but contains a lot of detailed dimensioning, where to put texts etc.
So it looks more like Powerpoint for Music.

Regards,
Dieter