"Stefan Monnier" wrote on 14 Jun 2001 18:18:15 -0400:

> I seem to be unable to use \begin{slide} and\end{slide} from
> a \newenvironment or a \newcommand when using powersem with the
> display option.  More specifically something like:
>
>     \documentclass[display]{powersem}
>     \newenvironment{myslide} {\begin{slide}} {\end{slide}}
>     \begin{document}
>       \begin{myslide}
>         hello there
>       \end{myslide}
>     \end{document}
>
> simply produces no output.  Removing the `display' option or using `slide'
> rather than `myslide' results in the expected single-page dvi file.
>
> The same problem seems to happen with newcommand:
>
>     \documentclass[display]{powersem}
>     \newcommand\foo{\end{slide}\begin{slide}}
>     \begin{document}
>       \begin{slide}
>         hello \foo there
>       \end{slide}
>     \end{document}
>
> only outputs a single page (which says "hello").
> Any idea what might be going on ?

Both seem to be ideosyncrasies of seminar. I get the same results
when replacing

\documentclass[display]{powersem}

by

\documentclass[slidesonly]{seminar}

I'm on the verge of taking the automatic activation of
`slidesonly' by powersem's display option out for the
first alpha version, but it'll need some more meditation
on my part ;-) .

It seemed natural enough in the beginning, but I didn't
consider all side effects...

Alan showed how to circumvent the myslide problem, for
the other one I'm at a loss also.

regards
Stephan

--
  Stephan Lehmke                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Fachbereich Informatik, LS I   Tel. +49 231 755 6434