Klaus,

Thanks for your reply, I am sending this to the email list just in case
anyone else is interested.

It does seem to be ghostscript and xfig related as you said. Using gs6.50 (I
was stuck with 5.50 due to a printer driver patch) does stop the
unpredictable behaviour. However, it now has the effect that all lines are
colour converted correctly but text is not converted. I am not sure what the
problem is here but am about to start looking at the difference in eps and
pdf output for a clue. If I generate a diagram from another packate
(Killustrator -> export as eps -> epstopdf) things seem to be OK (ie all
black lines and text get converted to yellow with darkbackground selected.

I have updated my example web page with new screen shot with output with
gs6.50 installed and xfig content in case anyone is interested in seeing the
problem :)
(see http://privatewww.essex.ac.uk/~mjreed/tmp/index.html)

Thanks,

Martin

--
/ Dr. M.J. Reed                               Room:          4SB.6.15 \
| Dept. Electronic Systems Engineering         Tel:+44 (0)1206 872479 |