On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Adam Tkac wrote:

+Clients and servers are encouraged to send UTF-8 strings unless that
+particular part of the protocol mandates another encoding. They should
+however be prepared to receive invalid UTF-8 sequences at all times.
+Such sequences should be handled gracefully by e.g. stripping the
+invalid portions or trying to interpret the string using common
+encodings such as ISO 8859-1 or Windows code page 1252.
+

Hm, it is easy to say "invalid portions of UTF-8" string but it is
_very_ hard to create an algorithm which will determine if a part of
string is valid or invalid. If you are using UTF-8 users might create
strings with "obscure" characters. I think this kind of heuristic
should not be included in protocol.

If an implementation sends strings in, for example, the ISO 8859-*
encoding it will end with crippled characters but we have to live
with it, there is probably no algorithm to solve this problem.

+1. That part needs to be rephrased.

Regards, ---
Peter Åstrand           ThinLinc Chief Developer
Cendio AB               http://www.cendio.com
Wallenbergs gata 4
583 30 Linköping        Phone: +46-13-21 46 00