At 4:10 PM +0000 3/10/10, Mark Sims wrote:
Yes, I replace the standard HP fan with a MUCH quieter one. I get mine from a local surplus shop. It is made by AAVID. it draws 120 mA at 12V and I run it off the 10V supply (which is somewhat over 10V).

Before getting all whiny about overheating, careful HP engineers putting that obnoxious hurricane in for a reason, etc... know that I put several thermocouples all over the guts of the machine and found no significant changes in cooling. I have had modified machines running continuously for many years.

It's reasonable to assume that HP engineers put in twice as much fan as needed by 95% of their customers, to prevent problems with that last 5% that run the thing in an extreme environment. If the counter's spec sheet says it will run at 50C, then it's gotta be able to run for a couple years at 50C without failure. So your 25C office can use a much quieter fan.

Our telescope at 3500m altitude, on the other hand, needs all the fan noise it can get since the thin air is only 50% as effective at cooling as sea-level air is.
--

--David Forbes, Tucson, AZ
http://www.cathodecorner.com/