On 06/26/2010 09:11 AM, Richard H McCorkle wrote:
Fellow Time-Nuts,
When I first uploaded the Simple PICTIC interpolating time interval
counter to the K04BB site in 12/08 and presented it to the group as
a Christmas present my goal was to get amateurs building their own
interpolating time interval counters for GPS monitoring and making
improvements to my design. The interpolator in the PICTIC was
“borrowed” from an early HP counter with minor modifications so I
didn’t design it and had no personal attachment to it.

Which counter? Just curious.

   Over the last 18 months I have developed a new diode switched
interpolator based on the comments made on line and have thoroughly
tested it. Some suggestions made improvements in the performance and
some resulted in poorer performance. I incorporated those suggestions
that made improvements, eliminated those that made things worse, and
once I was satisfied I sent the revised interpolator design directly
to Bruce off line. Based on comments and suggestions he returned
during a long series of emails I incorporated additional changes in
the code, front-end, and interpolator designs and tested those
changes until I was satisfied with the performance and he had no
further comments. I am finally satisfied with the new design and
admit that by incorporating the majority of the suggestions made
the new interpolator has significantly better linearity than the
HP interpolator used in the PICTIC and it is now suitable for
higher resolutions.
   I was reluctant to post the PICTIC II in this forum, as I don’t
want to get in another public discussion of its faults without any
discussion of the merits of a $50 serial output interpolating TIC
on a 3.8” x 2.5” thru-hole board designed for amateur construction.
The K04BB WIKI PICTIC page was recently updated to include the
PICTIC II code and ExpressPCB board layout and schematic files for
those that might be interested.

http://www.ko4bb.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=precision_timing:pictic

The PICTIC II incorporates the new interpolator, requires a delay
between the inputs, and uses a low stability XO timebase with
software peak detection for calibration with provision for an
external timebase like the PICTIC to minimize size and cost.

Sounds interesting. What is the ball-park figures? Resolution, jitter, linearity?