She lives! She sings! She dances!Turned out it was not the serial port that was
blocking... it was the X11 event handler. XNextEvent blocks if no event is
pending. There is a X11 call that got around it...
So far everything seems to be working well.  I still need to do a lot of detail
work for More Better Optimum Linux Compatibility Goodness.  All my testing has
been on Ubuntu Mate on X86 (32 and 64 bit) and Power PC (Mac Mini G4!) and the
Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspbian.  Still no support for network connections to
remote units.
Please direct all questions, comments, etc to me directly.  No need to clutter
up the list with Heather ramblings and musings...