I've done a over one  hundred boards with a Kapton stencil without any problems
(0603 size parts)  and 50 boards with a stencil cut out of vellum paper (a
plasticized paper available at craft stores,  red cuts very well with 405nm
lasers) by my home-made laser cutter head for a desktop CNC mill.   I've never
worn one out or ripped one... YMMV.   I'd probably go with stainless steel for
something with tiny BGA's,  but have done chip-scale IC packages with paper
stencils.  It's only recently that small stainless steel stencils have become
easily available and cheap.