If OpenPnp generates a gcode file for a particular CNC controller (say Linux
CNC) my program can easily translate it into something pretty much any other
CNC machine can read (including some machines that have not existed for over 40
years).  It would not be hard to add the ability to read a standard layout
centroid file and convert it into gcode.  The problem there is specifying all
the machine specific stuff like feeder/board locations, pick sequences,
component rotation.
One of the file formats it can read is Gerber.  I use it to convert paste layer
Gerber files to gcode for laser cutting stencils.  It also outputs excellent
Gerber renderings as .PDF or .SVG files (or .DXF).  It is one of the very few
programs out there that can handle the new "X2" extensions to Gerber.  I've
used it for doing toner transfer boards.    It can also convert Excellon or
Sieb&Meyer drill files to gcode, pdf, dxf, postscript, Adobe Illustrator, etc.