I may have mis-spoken on one aspect of these devices...  it is now seems to be
doing 4-hour power-on surveys...  Or perhaps it has some measurement threshold
that allows it to end a survey before the full 14,400 samples have been taken.
 I did a power cycle,  went to dinner,  and three hours later it was still
surveying its malevolent little heart out.  It was tracking at least 6 sats
with excellent SNR and sat geometry.  I wonder why it was previously completing
the surveys in 30 minutes?