I ran some tests on the message timing of some V.KEL gps receivers in both NMEA
and binary mode.  These receivers are the cheapest ones I have (3 for $15 -
$20, shipped).   They use a SIRF III chip and have an on-board ceramic patch
antenna.  They performed amazingly well.  No problems tracking sats indoors in
a very poor location.   Message jitter was less than 20 msecs peak-peak,
standard deviation less than 2 milliseconds.   ADEVs at tau 10000 after an
overnight run in NMEA mode (hardware serial port) were in the 1E-7 range!
They also have a 1PPS signal on the connector so no need to go digging for a
place to bodge on a wire like with some of the other cheap GPS modules out
there.

V.KEL also makes a Ublox based version of the module (around $22 for one)...
mine reports that it has a Ublox 7 chip, though V.KEL's part number implies
that it a Ublox 6.