I bit bang serial all the time...  it is much easier if to do if you are only
banging serial output.   Reading serial streams at higher bit rates while doing
other useful stuff can be challenging... particularly if you don't have a timer
handy.

 I once coded up a PIC to output a time code / status overlay on a video screen
(bit banged video/hsync/vsync streams) while sending simultaneously sending
serial data out another pin.  One's gotta love the PICs rigid
clocks-per-instruction architecture when coding up things like that.  On
another product (video capture -> JPEG -> serial stream)  I replaced over 30
TTL IC's with a single PIC generating various timing and control pulses,  all
lovingly and precisely bit banged.

Looking closer at the Jupiter-T message timing,  it's obvious that they have it
timed and aligned down to the bit level (or better).