Ok, I removed all the preexisting databases for the openerp user from our test
machine and created 3 new databases in the client.  And now when we start the
server and client we can connect to different databases without error.  So
there was some structure problem with the preexisting tables.  I didn't think
the warnings about columns existing in the tables but not in the orm was
critical during --update.  Obviously something was not aligned right.  The
tables were created about 6 months ago so it was probably with a beta version
of v5.  So this issue now appears resolved.

Regards,
Gerry

http://www.openobject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=37477#37477