From: Beth Benoit [beth.ben...@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, December 19, 2009 4:43 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] A student request - Any comments

I suspect that this student wouldn't do a "poop load" of extra work anyhow.  (I
love Annette's flowery adjectives; a girl after my own heart, as the expression
goes...)

But words to the wise:  At Plymouth State University, where I'm an adjunct, we
received the following reminder which I think clearly addresses possible
problems with Annette's suggestion:

1. It is against faculty policy to allow any student the opportunity to do any
"extra work over and above that described in the syllabus, to influence his or
her grade, when the same opportunity has not been made available to all
students."

2. No student may be permitted "to perform extra work after final grades have
been submitted to improve his or her grade."

3. Final grades may not be changed unless there has been (a) an error in
computing the grade or (b) a documented violation of the Fair Grading Policy.

Do other institutions have this policy?  I think it's a good one, and it saves
us the extra pressure from students once they get a look at their grade and
think they could possibly get it changed by doing some after-the-fact extra
credit.  Then we're stuck with the poop load of extra work.

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University
New Hampshire