On 21 Dec 2009 at 13:49, Allen Esterson wrote:

> Re the article on the Inuit that Beth Benoit cited:
>
> http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/articles/2009/12/21/through_inuit_eyes/
>
> I'm sure some of the mores of the Inuit are very strange to Americans
> or Europeans, but with several of the examples in the article I find it
> strange that the author should think them strange.

Here's one which does seem to me to be rather strange from
our southern point of view:

"Nunavut is one of the few jurisdictions in Canada to allow
private adoptions, thanks in part to the Inuit tradition of
customary adoption, in which generations of Inuit mothers have
occasionally given their babies to sisters, or other women in
their families or communities, who couldnĀ“t have children of their
own."

"There is no stigma attached to adoption among the Inuit, who
speak of the practice in Inuktitut not as "giving away" a child, but
of "making a gift" - both to the child and to the new parents."

http://tinyurl.com/ygbnst6

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus
Bishop's University