In the NY Times there is an interesting little article on the origin
of a specific cancer in the marsupial known as the Tasmanian
Devil. The news article is based on an article published in
Science today.  See:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/01/science/01devil.html?emc=eta1

Here are a few points to consider:

(1) The cancer is a deadly facial cancer that has apparently
killed 60% of all Tasmanian devils since it was first observed
in 1996.

(2) The cancer spreads from one animal to another when one
animal bites another animal's face.  Yes, when the cancer cells
are freed from a host, they will grow/infect the new host. It is
important to note that what gets transferred is not a virus but
the cancerous cell itself which acts like a parasite.

(3) It appears that the cancerous cells originally came from
Schwann cells in the nervous system. Quoting the article:
|They argue that a single Schwann cell in a single animal was
|the progenitor of all the devil facial tumor disease cells.

(4) Only one other case of cancer cells acting like parasite has
been found: canine tansmissible veneral tumor which also
appears to have a single host origin thousands of years ago.

I had not heard of cancer as a parasite, that is, as a "bug" that
could be gotten from another organism.  I suspect that we
may find more examples in the future.

MORALE:  Be careful about whose face you bite.

Happy New Year, Y'all!

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu