A curious article in today's NY Times about the proliferation
of high school honor societies and the difficulties that these seem
to pose to college admissions board who are unsure about how
to evaluate participation in those societies; see:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/01/education/01honors.html?th&emc=th

Apparently this is becoming a widespread problem which has
become the concern for some educational policy wonks, such
as Chester E. Finn, Jr who is quoted in the article:

|“This cheapens the currency,” ”said Chester E. Finn Jr., president
|of the Thomas B. Fordham Institute, a nonprofit educational policy
|group in Washington. “Once everyone’s wearing rhinestones, you
|might not notice someone wearing diamonds.”

For more on Mr. Finn see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chester_E._Finn,_Jr.

Disclosure:  for the longest time I confused this Finn with
another educational researcher, Jeremy D. Finn who had
developed the program MULTIVARAIANCE which,
back in the 1980s, allowed one to do a variety of
general linear model analyses, including repeated measures
ANOVA, MANOVA, and other procedures. See the
following article in the American Statistician announcing
the release of the PC version.
http://www.jstor.org/pss/2684303
It was one of the statistical packages put out by Darrell
Bock's Scientific Software International (SSI) company
which was best known for marketing LISREL (and providing
workshops on Lisrel programming back in the 1980s
at the University of Chicago;  I attended one of these and
one of my strongest memories about the UofC is that
it had more churches and tennis courst per square foot
than any other college/university I've ever seen).

Has the high school honor society issue been relevant to any
Tipsters?

-Mike Palij
New York University
m...@nyu.edu