Hello All,

Just saw "A Beautiful Mind" - a pretty good flick, but I'm questioning one
part, where the main character, John Nash, is diagnosed with schizophrenia
and is treated with "insulin shock therapy."  I know this movie was based on
real events in Nash's life, and I know they play a little loose with the
facts, but that's a cinema prerogative.

My question: am wondering how likely it was that insulin shock therapy was
actually used on him.  He was diagnosed in 1959.  As far as I could
determine, insulin shock therapy wasn't used after the late 1940's.

A few other inconsistencies - did he have a "thorazine shuffle" or just
acquire an odd gait in later life?  It's implied - but a little unclear -
that he chose to forego medication for at least a period during the time
when his schizophrenia symptoms were severe.  In his autobiography, he also
expresses surprise that his symptoms abated in his old age.

There will be a PBS special on April 28th (9 EST) about him.  And here's the
website for his autobiographical sketch:

www.nobel.se/economics/laureates/1994/nash-autobio.html

Beth Benoit
University Systems of New Hampshire