Hi,

Just free associating here, but my first reaction to this question
was to invoke a modular view of cognition as an explanation.
That is, if we assume that cognitive abilities evolved to deal
with specific problems, and if subtraction, is one of the many
particular "mathematical modules," then perhaps something went
wrong along the way somewhere in this domain-specific area of
math ability.

Mike Lee

>From: "James Guinee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Question
>
>How can a person be exceptionally skilled at mathematics -- scores
>in the 98th percentile on all standard tests, does a variety of calculations
>in his head, yadda yadda.
>
>Yet when you ask this person to subtract something, he can't do it
>any faster than anyone else -- in fact, he has to get the calculator out
>for something that he doesn't need when you ask him to add, multiply,
>divide in his head.
>
>What gives?  Is there some kind of explanation the cognitive people
>can provide me (or maybe the physio people) for this kind of problem?
>
>Thanks,
>Jim Guinee

Mike Lee, MA
P435A Duff Roblin Building
(204) 474-6627 (office)
Dept of Psychology
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB  Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~mdlee,
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~mdlee/Teaching.html
Owner: Talk-Psychology Mailing List for Students of Introductory Psychology

"Our situation on this Earth seems strange.  Every one of us appears here
involuntarily,
and uninvited, for a short stay without knowing why.  To me it is enough to
wonder at the secrets."
  -- Albert Einstein

"Men are probably nearer the central truth in their superstitions than in
their science."
--Henry David Thoreau