Hi again,

Just need to make a technical correction to what I wrote below.
What I should have said was that perhaps whatever accelerated
development in all of the other primary "math modules" did not,
for some reason, also appear to happen for the specific ability of
subtraction.  Still waiting for the more expert cognitivists to
correct my interpretation!

On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Michael Lee wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just free associating here, but my first reaction to this question
> was to invoke a modular view of cognition as an explanation.
> That is, if we assume that cognitive abilities evolved to deal
> with specific problems, and if subtraction, is one of the many
> particular "mathematical modules," then perhaps something went
> wrong along the way somewhere in this domain-specific area of
> math ability.
>
> Mike Lee
>
> >From: "James Guinee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> >Question
> >
> >How can a person be exceptionally skilled at mathematics -- scores
> >in the 98th percentile on all standard tests, does a variety of calculations
> >in his head, yadda yadda.
> >
> >Yet when you ask this person to subtract something, he can't do it
> >any faster than anyone else -- in fact, he has to get the calculator out
> >for something that he doesn't need when you ask him to add, multiply,
> >divide in his head.
> >
> >What gives?  Is there some kind of explanation the cognitive people
> >can provide me (or maybe the physio people) for this kind of problem?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Jim Guinee
>

> Mike Lee, MA
> P435A Duff Roblin Building
> (204) 474-6627 (office)
> Dept of Psychology
> University of Manitoba
> Winnipeg, MB  Canada
> [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~mdlee,
> http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~mdlee/Teaching.html
> Owner: Talk-Psychology Mailing List for Students of Introductory Psychology
>

> "Our situation on this Earth seems strange.  Every one of us appears here
> involuntarily,
> and uninvited, for a short stay without knowing why.  To me it is enough to
> wonder at the secrets."
>   -- Albert Einstein
>
> "Men are probably nearer the central truth in their superstitions than in
> their science."
> --Henry David Thoreau
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

         ,o888b,`?88888         Michael D. Lee         88888P',d888o,
       ,8888 888   ?888            aka Mikel           888P   888 8888,
       8888888P'    888     [EMAIL PROTECTED]      888    `?8888888
       888P'        888 //home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~mdlee  888        `?888
       `88   O     d888            --*--*--            888b     O   88'
         `?._  _.o88888       "Keep the balance"       88888o._  _.?'