on 3/27/02 11:57 AM, David Campbell at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am not a fan of the Jean Kilbourne videos (Killing Us Softly, Again
> Killing Us Softly, Killing Us Softly--Part 4, etc.) because she distorts
> her discription of advertising by selecting only examples that support
> her case.  Also, she has a somewhat self-congratulatory, smarmy style
> that is made worse by taping her videos in front of a wildly
> enthusiastic auditorium of students.  It reminds me of politicians who
> make themselves look good during speeches by selecting an audience that
> will be highly appreciative.

Say what you will, students LOVE the videos - and I do too. Now what's this
about "self-congratulatory, smarmy style..."?  I don't want to start a war
here, but I find her engaging, confident and humorous.  Students find her
bright and her topic thought-provoking.  And I don't see how taping the
videos in front of "a wildly enthusiastic auditorium of students" is
unrealistic.  I went to hear her speak at Faneuil Hall in Boston, and
believe me, the audience was genuinely enthusiastic.  (And the place was
packed.)  Do you object to her message?  It would seem that anything that
opens the students' eyes and makes them think more critically about the
barrage of media messages aimed at them is a good thing.  Why the venom,
Dave?

I'd be interested to hear what others think.  I've also used the "Beyond
Killing Us Softly" which is not by her, but by the company who produced her
earlier tapes.  "Beyond" features Carol Gilligan and Gloria Steinem, among
others, but it's not nearly as entertaining.

Beth Benoit
University System of New Hampshire