Hi Linda,
So glad you brought up that interesting research.  I have discussed this
study in my Psych. of Women class.  It makes a strong point.

Here's info about original research:

"...Anne Becker, director of research at the Harvard Eating Disorders
Center, assistant professor of medical anthropology at HMS, and assistant
professor of psychiatry at Massachusetts General Hospital, has studied
eating habits in Fiji since 1988, conducted the study with research
assistant Rebecca Burwell and presents preliminary findings May 19 at the
American Psychiatric Association annual meeting in Washington, D.C."

http://www.hms.harvard.edu/news/releases/599bodyimage.html

Beth Benoit
University System of New Hampshire

> Hi Y'all,
>
> The following was reported in the news several years ago.  Has anyone
> seen the original research?
>
> Linda
>
> Linda M. Woolf, Ph.D.
> Webster University

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
June 2, 1999, Wednesday, SOONER EDITION
HEADLINE: ANOREXIA IN PARADISE;
TV TEACHES FIJI WOMEN TO LOATHE THEIR BODIES

BYLINE: ELLEN GOODMAN

DATELINE: BOSTON