Margie, I have used Field's book the last couple of times in my Master's level
Advanced Statistics course. I love it, and I have had positive feedback from
the students (first time ever for a statistics text). Field has an interesting
sense of humor.

It is really a textbook, not a lab manual, although he does walk you through
how to do SPSS procedures. I think you could use it for an undergrad class, but
if I did I would leave out quite a bit. One of the interesting features of the
book is that each chapter section is numerically coded according to its
difficulty, so you could use that to assign readings, depending on the level of
your students.

I hope this helps.

David Kreiner
Professor of Psychology and
Associate Dean of The Graduate School
University of Central Missouri
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> Margie Hardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 3/31/2008 7:52 AM >>>
Hi Everyone,
For the past couple of years, we have used Green & Salkind's "Using
SPSS" manual and CD in the lab portion of our Stats & Research Design
Class.  In browsing the web, however, I ran across "Discovering
Statistics Using SPSS" by Andy Field.  Have any of your used this
manual--or any other--sucessfully in your classes?  Oh, by the way, our
version of SPSS is 15.

Also, do you have any suggestions for brief books on "How to Write in
APA style"?  I'm tempted here to just direct students to some good websites.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Margie Hardy