Mark A. Casteel wrote:

I've often wondered if anyone has had students try to research topics like (1) the negative effects of texting while performing other activities or (2) the influence of the presence/absence of a gun on memory for a simulated crime, without requiring working with experimental software like E-prime or PsyScope. In other words, has anyone thought of a fairly easy way that students could research a topic like this, and collect data that would be both meaningful and (to their way of thinking) more interesting? If I could provide guidance with something like this, so the students don't waste the entire semester simply coming up with a workable protocol, that would be fabulous.

Hi Mark:

Since most of the arguments on TIPS has been about students texting in class then why don't you do a study on that situation.

You could present information on ppt slides while the students are texting back and forth. They are responsible for information that is being presented on the ppt slides and responding in a quick fashion to the text mesages. You could manipulate the rate of text messages sent and received and the rate at which ppt slides are presented. The ppt slide show could be modeled after a typical class, with names, theories, dates, and experimental results presented across slides.

Good luck,

Ken

*********************************
Mark A. Casteel, Ph.D.