Two answers:
I am a cognitive person but I replicate a lot of social studies. Students find
them more intuitively appealing.

Second, I have done projects as you mentioned and I think you almost answered
your own question (Ok, I haven't done the gun thing, but I have done bystander
intervention for a student who stumbles and falls--you do need a good
actor--preferably a girl for that one). I try to locate the source article,
such as Asch's 1946 article on impression formation, and then guide the
students to take it from there.

Also, instead of eprime or other costly and difficult-to-learn-to-use software
you can use freely available software. You can go to psychexps.olemiss.edu and
check out all they have. Some of the studies might appeal across a wide range
of students.

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology