Hi

Rick and I probably differ on how we interpret the word "hint."  To me when
someone writes "the study does not provide _clear_ evidence" of conscious
learning and "It's _possible_" learning was independent of consciousness
(underlining mine), then I see this as suggesting that learning was conscious.
Others, like Rick, might read it differently.

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
204-774-4134 Fax
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca

>>> Rick Froman <rfro...@jbu.edu> 20-Oct-09 11:37:49 AM >>>
What they said in the article was, "while the cognitively impaired patients may
have the neural circuitry that permits some learning, the study does not
provide clear evidence that these patients are conscious of what they are
learning. 'It's possible that this learning process may be independent of
awareness,' said Giacino. (underline mine) I wouldn't characterize that as
hinting that it might be conscious. I think it was probably in response to a
question about whether or not these results indicate that these patients are
actually conscious and the authors are saying that their research does not
provide evidence of consciousness.

Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair

Division of Humanities and Social Sciences Box 3055

x7295

rfro...@jbu.edu

http://tinyurl.com/DrFroman

Proverbs 14:15 "A simple man believes anything, but a prudent man gives thought
to his steps."