Dear Tipsters:

I guess it's my day to pepper the list with unrelated posts.

I have a colleague in the religion dept. here who is a good friend and who
is encouraging us to have discussion, as a faculty, on the topic of
establishing an honor code and working to change our culture from one of
catching cheaters to one of promoting integrity.

He went to St. Olaf's, BTW, and feels that culture was enhanced by their
honor code.

I have a couple of questions about this concept:
1) Have any of you been at institutions that made the transition to an
honor-based system? Do you have any thoughts or recommendations?
2) I have not actively looked into the literature on this, given that my
friend just asked me about this today. Do any of you know of any relevant
literature, off-hand (i.e. without investing huge amounts of time)?
3) This school is affliliated with the United Church of Christ, but there
is little evidence from campus culture, that I can see, of any religious
affiliation. Would a college with a strong religious affiliation do better
with an honor-based system?

Thanks for your indulgence, and I promise not to litter the list for at
least another month. I can collect your off-list responses and post a
summary of them, if that would be helpful.

Esther

Esther Yoder Strahan, Ph.D
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Heidelberg College