Jeff,

I did some searching on PsycInfo and the best I could come up with was a
1988 article by Rickard, Rogers, Ellis, & Beidleman. It was titled "Some
retention, but not enough" and appeared in the journal Teaching of
Psychology,Vol 15, pages 151-152. According to the abstract, they compared
59 students who had a psyc course to 15 controls who had not had the course.
While they found differences, those differences were small. In addition,
they compared retention for the 29 students who received traditional
classroom instruction to retention for the 30 who received instruction
emphasizing concepts. The scores in those 2 groups was similar.

Hope that helps,
Larry

Larry Z. Daily
Assistant Professor of Psychology