On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Weisskirch, Rob wrote:

> I definitely don't want to resurrect the Nurture Assumption debate that has
> gone on since her theories have been published.  But, I will give you my
> perspective.  Harris has a fine theory supported by selective studies and
> not well-countered in her book.
>
> But, I think the real reason it received so much attention is because it
> appeals to the Baby Boomer psych-types. [I am aware I am opening up a can of
> generational worms].  For Boomer parents who have kids who, well, uh, didn't
> turn out exactly how they anticipated rejoice in Harris' assertion that
> parents don't really matter.  Yes, blame the peers.  Peers do the
> socializing.  Parents, as long as you are generally good to them, have
> little influence.  Boy, does this lift the burden on parents as the culprits
> for less-than-ideal kids.  As Boomers, who are much better educated living
> in a time of economic expansion and other opportunities, blaming the peers
> becomes a way to assuage guilt for turning out the oft-maligned Xers, Ys,
> and Millenials.
>
> A proud Xer and non-Harris supporter,

This is getting interesting. I take back the pejorative "cheesy"
applied to this discussion. Not up to reviewing the evidence here
myself, I have to say I disagree with Rob's characterization of
the support for the theory. Moreover, the implication of the
twin research of Plomin and Bouchard was already clearly stated
in the literature before Harris, only no one paid any attention.
We owe Harris for hitting people over the head with it.

Now it's true that her work has been interpreted as arguing that
parents no longer need take the blame. I find this refreshing.
For years the pschodynamic establishment has viciously attacked
parents, particularly mothers, and cruelly blamed them for
everything from schizophrenia to autism. For example, take Bruno
Bettleheim. Please! So I think it's time to redress the balance,
and point out that all of these claims were pure horse****,
but devastating to parents. (E. Fuller Torrey has an imaginative
essay in which he puts Bettleheim, Laing, and others on trial for
these crimes--see Torrey, 1977)

On the other hand, most people I talk to about Harris's views,
both of my generation and my students, generally are not
positive. On the contrary, they do not welcome their new
blame-free status with respect to the next generation. This is
because there's another side to Harris's view. If we can't be
blamed for how our children turn out, neither can we take the
credit when they turn out well. And many people are eager to take
the credit.

As a parent, I have trouble accepting what Harris has to say. But
as a scientist, I have no trouble at all.

-Stephen

Torrey, E. (1977). A fantasy trial about a real issue. Psychology
  Today, March, 1977, p. ??

Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lennoxville, QC
J1M 1Z7
Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
           Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
           http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/