Hi

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Jeffrey Nagelbush wrote:
> I do not whether or not adoption agencies include religion.  However, I do
> not think religiosity refers to any particular religion, but rather to a
> general orientation to religion and religious beliefs. And it is these more
> general beliefs or orientation that show no family effect.

I'm probably not being very clear about my point.  Here goes one
more try.  Religiousness (i.e., L vs. H religiosity) shows no
family effect.  But more specific religious affiliations,
including presumably such irreligious classifications as agnostic
and atheist, do appear to show family effects.  These two
observations strike me as inconsistent because the H religious
groups would include the religious affiliations (i.e., Baptist,
Roman Catholic,...), whereas the L religious groups would include
the irreligious affiliations (i.e., agnostic, atheist, ...).  So
we have something like the following two columns:

        Col 1           Col 2
        Low Relig       atheist, agnostic, ...
        High Relig      baptist, catholic, protestant, ...

Col 1 shows no family effect, whereas Col 2 does (an assumption
on my part). In other words, is it possible for families to
determine specific religious affiliations (including the
non-religious categories) without having any relationship with
overall religiousness? The lack of relationship in Col 1 would
seem to require that it is irrelevant to your religiousness
whether your parents were baptists or atheists.

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark