Here are some other articles I have just found on this topic. Some of them
reproduce the ones that Stephen Black cited.

Jeff

-----------

Belkin, M. and M. Rosner. "Intelligence, Education, and Myopia in Males,"
Archives of Opthamology (November 1987) 1508-11.

Benbow, C.P. "Physiological Correlates of Extreme Intellectual Precocity,"
Neuropsychologia (1986) 719-25.

Bower, Bruce. "Retardation : The Eyes Have It," Science News (August 27, 1988)
140.

Cohn, S.J., C.M. Cohn, and A.R. Jensen. "Myopia and Intelligence : A
Pleiotropic Relationship?" Human Genetics (September 1988) 63-8.

Edwards, Diane. "Boring Reading and Nearsightedness," Science News, July 11,
1987, page 23.

Grosvenor, Theodore. Refractive State, Intelligence Test Scores, and Academic
Ability, American Journal of Optometry and Archives of American Academy of
Optometry 47(5) (May 1970) 355-61.

Heron, Elizabeth and Adrain Zytkoskee. "Visual Acuity and Test Performance,"
American Journal of Optometry and Physiological Optics 58 (1981) 176-8.

Karlsson, J.L. "Genetic Relationship Between Giftedness and Myopia," Hereditas
75 (1973) 85-9.

Karlsson, J.L. Genetics of Myopia and Associated Mental Traits, Hereditas 105
(1986) 205-8.

McManus, I.C. "What Makes Some Children Shortsighted?" The Lancet (1987)
1267-8.

Miller, Edward M. On the Correlation of Myopia and Intelligence, Genetic,
Social and General Psychology Monographs 118(4) (1992) 361-83.

Peckham, C.S., and P.A. Gardinier, and H. Goldstein. "Acquired Myopia in
Eleven Year Old Children," British Medical Journal (1977) 542-5.

Raviola, Elio and Torsten N. Wiesel. "The Mystery of Myopia," The Sciences
(November/December 1986) 46-52.

Teasdale, T.W. and E. Goldschmidt. "Myopia and its Relationship to Education,
Intelligence, and Height," Acta Opthamologica - Supplementary Copenhagen 185
(1988) 41-3.

Teasdale, T.W., E. Goldschmidt, and J. Fuchs. "Degree of Myopia in Relation to
Intelligence and Educational Level," The Lancet (1988) 1351-3.

Williams, Sheila M. "Refractive Error, I.Q., and Reading Ability,"
Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology (December 1988) 735-42.

Wong, L., et. al. Education, Reading and Familial Tendency as Risk Factors for
Myopia in Hong Kong Fishermen, Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health
47(1) (February 1993) 50-3.

Zylbermann, R., D. Landau and D. Berson, The Influence of Study Habits on
Myopia in Jewish Teenagers, Journal of Pediatric Opthamology and Strabismus
30(5) (September-October 1993) 319-22.

Stephen Black wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Michael Sylvester wrote:
>

> > does the correlation still hold that students and profs that wear glasses
> > tend to be above average in intelligence than those who don't?
> > I am not sure about contact lenses?
>
> Surprisingly, yes. We discussed this back around the end of July
> last year, and I posted a note on July 24th, 2000 about it.
> There's a significant relationship between myopia
> (nearsightedness) and variables such as IQ, educational
> attainment, and amount of time spent reading. The smarter you
> are, or the greater your education, or the more time you spend
> studying, the more myopic you are. And vice versa. Me, I'm so
> nearsighted I can only see behind me.
>
> And for once the correlation seems to be causal.  Nerdish
> activities promote elongation of the eyeball, a primary cause of
> myopia. This was established in studies where rats were forced to
> read the speeches of George Bush and Jean Chretien until they
> could no longer see well enough to solve mazes. Predictably,
> animal rightists protested, not because of the harm to vision but
> because no animal should be subjected to that kind of abuse.
>
> The references I gave last time around:
>
> Wiesel, T. & Raviola, E. (1988?) The mystery of myopia. The
>   Sciences, p. 46 [sorry, still missing a proper reference for
>   this]
>
> Kolata, G. (1985). What causes nearsightedness? Science, 229,
>   1249--
>
> Teasdale,  T. et al (1988). Degree of myopia in relation to
>   intelligence and educational level. The Lancet, 1351--
>
> Kinge B., Midelfart, A. [love that name], et al. (2000). The
>   influence of near-work on development of myopia among
>   university students. Acta Ophthalmologica Scandinavica, 78,
>   26--
>
> -Stephen

> Stephen Black, Ph.D.                      tel: (819) 822-9600 ext 2470
> Department of Psychology                  fax: (819) 822-9661
> Bishop's University                    e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Lennoxville, QC
> J1M 1Z7
> Canada     Department web page at http://www.ubishops.ca/ccc/div/soc/psy
>            Check out TIPS listserv for teachers of psychology at:
>            http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/psyc/southerly/tips/

Jeffry P. Ricker, Ph.D.          Office Phone:  (480) 423-6213
9000 E. Chaparral Rd.            FAX Number: (480) 423-6298
Psychology Department            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Scottsdale Community College
Scottsdale, AZ  85256-2626

Listowner: Psychologists Educating Students to Think Skeptically (PESTS)
http://www.sc.maricopa.edu/sbscience/pests/index.html