On 27 August 2010 Joan Warmbold wrote:
>As a relevant tangent, do any of you recall that a production
>of Hitler's life was planned for HBO or PBS but was canceled
>as it provided some objective information about his abusive
>childhood.

That's a strong allegation to make without citation, Joan. Please
supply chapter and verse – in  particular that the production was
cancelled for the reason you give.

Joan writes:
>As some of you might be aware, Hitler was beaten on
>a regular basis by his father , and some sources claim
>on a daily basis, sources below.

I don't doubt that Hitler was beaten by his father, as I imagine many
children were in those days. It may well be that in Hitler's case the
beatings were more severe and more regular, but I would need more than
the references cited by Joan to be convinced. The first one is the
Wikipedia Hitler page: "Hitler's father frequently beat his wife and
children with a whip." The reference for this statement is this
documentary:
http://www.history.com/topics/adolf-hitler/videos#adolf-hitler

According to the commentator David Einsenbach, "Hitler's father
frequently beat his wife and children with a whip." There is no way of
knowing how reliable this information is. (Eisenbach teaches media and
politics Columbia University, but doesn't seem to have any particular
expertise regarding Hitler.)

Joan's second citation is the website "Famous People", where one finds
a reference to "the regular whipping and violence committed by his
father." However, one look at the website indicates that it is unlikely
to be a source of reliable information:
http://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/adolf-hitler-8.php

I have no idea how badly Hitler was beaten in childhood by his father.
In his book *Explaining Hitler: The Search for the Origins of his
Evil*, Ron Rosenbaum writes that "We have only Hitler's self-pitying
word for it that he was the victim of savage paternal beatings, an
account contradicted by some who remembered his father as a far milder
sort"

Does anyone have any information on this, preferably more reliable than
 from the commentator on a "popular" documentary and the website "Famous
People".

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London