Joan Warmbold wrote:
>….do any of you recall that a production of Hitler's life was
>planned for HBO or PBS but was canceled as it provided
>some objective information about his abusive childhood.
>I guess many folks prefer to believe the "bad seed" theory
>as opposed to the influence of violence in a child's early
>years. Please do check out the sources provided below
>as my guess is that many of you are not aware of Hitler's
>brutal childhood.

Joan's second sentence is clearly (to me at least) suggesting that the
miniseries was cancelled not just because it cited *Hitler's* abusive
childhood but as more general evidence that the notion that childhood
abuse may cause abusive behaviour in adulthood was being suppressed.
But the items Mike cites are *specific to Hitler*, and indicate concern
about how emphasis on his childhood experiences might be interpreted in
some degree an excuse for *Hitler's* murderous behaviour, as the New
York Times article to which Mike linked makes clear:

>By focusing on Hitler's younger years, these critics worry,
>the program will not include the main and essential ingredients
>of Hitler's wickedness: Auschwitz, the Gestapo, the Final
>Solution, 50 million dead across Europe. And by leaving all
>that out, some people say, a film focusing on Hitler's childhood
>might give him a kind of abuse excuse, portraying him as a
>lonely, mistreated child of the sort for whom today's youths
>might even experience a degree of fellow feeling.

To generalise from the unique case of concerns about how the monstrous
Hitler is depicted in a TV documentary to the (surely implied)
suggestion that the motivation was within a context of suppression of
the very notion of an abusive childhood being a cause of violent
behaviour in adulthood seems to me to be an unjustified extrapolation.
I don't know what the situation is in the States, but the notion that
violent people will very likely have had an abusive childhood is
frequently expressed in the media in the UK. I find it hard to believe
it is so very different in the States, in which case it would indicate
that the case of the Hitler documentary is highly specific to Hitler,
and shouldn't be generalised to suggest a virtual conspiracy to
suppress the notion itself.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London