On 1/10/06 4:31 PM, "Bob Keyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Depends on the filling. For pie, I like blueberry, but for cake I like
> chocolate, especially with creme and the espresso. Yum. Thanks a lot, now
> I am hungry.

Oops, sorry!

> But, back to the filtering: how do I determine which email addresses are
> the spam traps? They keep them secret for a good reason.

That's not easy.

First, register for SpamCop as a system administrator.  Sign up for alerts
on spam reported or trapped from your IP addresses/netblock.  This will help
queue you in as to the *when* its happening.  Once you know when, then you
can figure it out logically.  Their reports are hour-by-hour, so the best
you'll do is limit it to an hour or two.

If your server is heavily trafficked, then you'll need an intern or other
lackey to parse through the logs.  If not, then it shouldn't be too painful.
Just tedious.

>>> The only thing I can think of right now is to start using a different IP
>>> address for my outgoing SMTP. I can do this, I have most of a class C
>>> available. I just don't want to have to patch qmail to do this. In any
>>> case, this would only be a temporary solution.
>>
>> Along with my previous advice: get rid of qmail.  It is not really
>> maintained, and patches aren't the right way to do it anyway.
>
> I am starting to agree with you about the non-maintainability of qmail.
> In the past I have dismissed postfix because of the attitude of its author
> towards my reported security problems many years ago. Perhaps it is time
> to see if the problem has been fixed, and if so, bury my pride and
> reconsider postfix.

Yes, Wietse can be rather blunt at times.  He's also one of the "real"
security experts out there -- he knows his shit better than anyone.

I'd suggest you bury the pride.  After doing some benchmarking and
significant testing, I can say honestly that Postfix outperforms all other
comers.  The ease of use/configuration is a big plus.

I'd be happy to help/advise on a changeover to Postfix.

--
Mark J. Nernberg
System Administrator

For technical support issues, please email [EMAIL PROTECTED]