On 1/10/06 5:08 PM, "Bob Keyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jan 2006, Administrator wrote:
>
>> On 1/10/06 4:31 PM, "Bob Keyes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>

>> First, register for SpamCop as a system administrator.  Sign up for alerts
>> on spam reported or trapped from your IP addresses/netblock.  This will help
>> queue you in as to the *when* its happening.  Once you know when, then you
>> can figure it out logically.  Their reports are hour-by-hour, so the best
>> you'll do is limit it to an hour or two.
>
> Considering the huge about of spam that hits here (about one per second) I
> wonder if that's going to work too well.

That's a lot of spam.  I'd switch to Postfix -- that way, you can execute
quite a number of checks and reject messages before getting to the RBLs,
which is far more efficient.

>> If your server is heavily trafficked, then you'll need an intern or other
>> lackey to parse through the logs.  If not, then it shouldn't be too painful.
>> Just tedious.
>
> No lackeys are available. Damn, I should start charging people time or
> money for accounts.

I do!  And you definitely should!

>>> I am starting to agree with you about the non-maintainability of qmail.
>>> In the past I have dismissed postfix because of the attitude of its author
>>> towards my reported security problems many years ago. Perhaps it is time
>>> to see if the problem has been fixed, and if so, bury my pride and
>>> reconsider postfix.
>>
>> Yes, Wietse can be rather blunt at times.  He's also one of the "real"
>> security experts out there -- he knows his shit better than anyone.
>
> I know he's been around forever. I used to read his posts on the Zardoz
> and Core mailing lists (even though I wasn't *officially* on them) back in
> the 80's.
>
> Yes, he lacks tact just like RMS and Theo DeRaadt. I call this the "proud
> graduate of the MIT School of Charm".

Yup.  Sometimes, though, Wietse is hilarious.  He's Dutch.  Their just like
Germans -- no sense of humor -- but more friendly-like.

>> I'd suggest you bury the pride.  After doing some benchmarking and
>> significant testing, I can say honestly that Postfix outperforms all other
>> comers.  The ease of use/configuration is a big plus.
>>
>> I'd be happy to help/advise on a changeover to Postfix.
>
> OK, I may take you up on this. I am building a new server and this might
> be the right time to do the move away from qmail.

Not a problem.  I enjoy helping my fellow sysadmins.  Switching to a new box
is the ideal time to change over.  Its also an opportunity to get rid of
some of the "deadwood" accounts -- you know which ones I mean: the accounts
that nobody's logged into for 6 months, but have full mailboxes.

I recommend "The Book of Postfix" by Ralf Hildebrant and Patrick Ben
Koetter.  They are fellow Postfix committers.

--
Mark J. Nernberg
System Administrator

For technical support issues, please email [EMAIL PROTECTED]