and link to the archives.

Scroll down to tn5250j portal thread.

http://www.mail-archive.com/tn5250j-general@lists.sourceforge.net/

Pete Helgren wrote:

I had posted some of this about two years ago when I first started working with the 5250 applet. The problems that I had (and still have) have to do with the passing of UserID and password in the clear when I start an applet session. Gaurav posted some code that has a servlet that talks to the applet and passes the password back to it. I think I can follow the approach but wanted to know if anyone else had solved this problem in a different way.

We have an HTML based menuing system that runs on the iSeries (under an Apache web server). The user logs in via an HTML login prompt and then the menu(s) are generated from there. Some of the menu items are HTML based but some are 5250 apps and we launch them using tn5250j in an applet. We generate the HTML that launches the applet on the fly using a template but so far we have had to pass the password in the clear, not a good solution. So, if you have any ideas that we could use to start the applet without passing the password in the clear, I'd like to hear about it.

We also have a need to end the application gracefully when the users are done running the 5250 application. Right now, we display a message that says "Click the Exit link to end the program" and the user has to click the link to end the session. What I would like to do is have the applet close when the 5250 application has ended automatically. I am not sure how to accomplish this since the 5250 session would have to "tell" the applet to close....

I'd appreciate anyone's idea as to how to solve these two issues as simply as possible.
Thanks,

Pete Helgren

.