Pete

Here is the part about the flow control that he uses and is actually quite cool for the implementation.  Had not thought of doing it that way.  It would be a change on the host but very small as the original command is wrapped and the application process is not changed in anyway.

- What we normally do, is to wrap the normal command they want to launch in a special command of our own. E.g. instead of issuing a WRKUSRJOB USER(user) we issue a STRCMD CMD('WRKUSRJOB USER(user)'); the only thing our STRCMD does is launching the command, but when the normal command ends and we fall back in the program stacking onto our wrapper command, we send the !# event or just do a signof with disconnect. The emulator at the Java side knows to close itself then. In GUI mode we can then even issue 5250 as modal dialogs etc without a problem. So we do make it interactive! We can not however send back information towards the web application directly as we can keep synchronisations in there. We did once start to cache the 5250 sessions, but that poses more of problem than it brings advantages. The only thing I still would like is to be able to create a protocol bean, connect it, start the initial command and only then hook it to a interactive terminal. This way the user would'n see the login and launch scenario pass by as they do now.

Here is the link to the full message:

http://www.mail-archive.com/tn5250j-general@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00219.html

This should solve just about everything except the user and password problem but am thinking of the applet to servlet would take care of this or the SessionBean and wrapping everything up yourself in your own Applet code.

Regards

Kenneth

Pete Helgren wrote:
I had posted some of this about two years ago when I first started working with the 5250 applet.  The problems that I had (and still have) have to do with the passing of UserID and password in the clear when I start an applet session.  Gaurav posted some code that has a servlet that talks to the applet and passes the password back to it.  I think I can follow the approach but wanted to know if anyone else had solved this problem in a different way.

We have an HTML based menuing system that runs on the iSeries (under an Apache web server).  The user logs in via an HTML login prompt and then the menu(s) are generated from there.  Some of the menu items are HTML based but some are 5250 apps and we launch them using tn5250j in an applet.  We generate the HTML that launches the applet on the fly using a template but so far we have had to pass the password in the clear, not a good solution.  So, if you have any ideas that we could use to start the applet without passing the password in the clear, I'd like to hear about it.

We also have a need to end the application gracefully when the users are done running the 5250 application.  Right now, we display a message that says "Click the Exit link to end the program" and the user has to click the link to end the session.  What I would like to do is have the applet close when the 5250 application has ended automatically.  I am not sure how to accomplish this since the 5250 session would have to "tell" the applet to close....

I'd appreciate anyone's idea as to how to solve these two issues as simply as possible.
Thanks,

Pete Helgren