Richard

If you compile with 1.5 you will not be able to run in a 1.4 JDK.  There are
compatibility modes for the 1.5 to output 1.4 instructions so you might want to
try that.

I had all sort of problems with this for 1.3 and 1.4.  Just putting out a
release was an 8 step process.  First compile with 1.3 then second run with .14
to get those then jar it then .......  A reall pain.  Right now the 0.6.0
release was all compiled with 1.4 jdk so has helped a lot.

The suggestion you make with the compile of 1.4 linux and then distribute is
really the only way I know of except for trying the compile compatibility
options for the 1.5 jdk.  Give it a shot that way.

Regards

Kenneth