I've haven't looked at the full source in a while, so I'm
somewhat guessing at the exact impact.  I'm working on a
Tomcat 3.3.2 release plan which will need to integrate
use of the J-T-C connectors.  I should be able to take a
more in depth look at this as part of that.

I wouldn't see it as a step forward where we increase
the vulnerability of the majority, and the effort needed
to deal with that, in favor of satisfying a small minority
that insist on using inherently unsafe escape sequences.

Maybe this new behavior should be an option like it is in
Tomcat 3.3.x.  The default is to err on the side of safety.
Operating in this less safe envrionment could be specifically
requested via an option, and the user is responsible for
dealing with the impact.  How does that sound?

Cheers,
Larry