Hans Schmid wrote:
Hi,

I just want to describe our usecase because we make heavy use of the
local_worker and local_worker_only flags right now.

We use those flags for 'maintenance' mode and failover very successfuly.

Cool ;).

But please see our setup and usecase below.

We only use one tomcat at a time to get traffic with a standby tomcat for
maineneance.
This scenario also covers failover. We do not use the loadbalancer to actually
balance
by factors.

OK. So basically you have two tomcat boxes where the second is used only when you wish to put the first on maintenance?

Using new config:

worker.list=loadbalancer
worker.loadbalancer.balanced_workers=ajp13-01,ajp13-02
worker.loadbalancer.sticky_session=True

worker.ajp13-01.disabled=0
worker.ajp13-02.disabled=1

Disabled flag initially mark the worker as disabled. It will not be used until:

Use the jkstatus console and set the:
worker.ajp13-02.disabled=0
and
worker.ajp13-01.disabled=1

And that's it.
Existing sessions will be forwarded to ajp13-01,
while new will go to the ajp13-02.
No need to make tricks with symlnks, graceful restarts, etc.
What's more, it works on all platforms and all web servers.

Also take a look at: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/connectors-doc/config/workers.html (Big red warning about worker names)

Regards,
Mladen.