Peter Rossbach wrote:
The issue is that this mechanism is bad, period.

Why it is so bad? The implementation was faster then the revert mapper state. What is a better way to implement this feature?

The optimization is just a ploy to force feed us with the feature. As I said, using a slightly different algorithm for "exact" (with or without case sensitivity) matches may be a good idea, but it is completely separate from the feature addition itself. I think the implementation provided of the algorithm could likely be cleaner (= more generic).

The wild card alias usage is very useful for tomcat hoster. Now the customer can use a new host subdomain without change the server.xml. Very nice and the admin must do nothing.

And the usefulness of that is non existent as well. What's the purpose of "adding" hosts if they are all the same ?

Easy: Hoster has installed the site with mydomain.net and later your customer want www.mydomain.net, foto.mydomain.net, or you have an application (blog,wiki,cms) that people can register and then there get an own universe (new subdomain). Currently I add new Alias to the Host section and save the server.xml without context.xml writing ( feature from new storeconfig module).

With the same webapps ? (with what you describe, you can access those virtual virtual host any way you want, and it serves no purpose, as they will all look the same) This will almost never happen. In all other cases (which are bound to happen more often) deployment steps are needed. Why add this crap for nothing ?

Other scenario: what if you have a.foo.com and b.foo.com, and you want to add an alias for a and an alias for b. Oops, sorry I guess ... This just proves it is a special purpose feature, and the person should do its own customization.

Rémy