I am also trying to figure the same exact thing but have not resolved all
the issues.

First, here are the bugs I found:

o  -webapp switch did not work in 3.1 (ArrayOutOfBoundException).  It works
in 3.2.1 (did not try 3.2)
o  -webxml switch works but the <url-pattern> contains a \ instead of / (On
Windows, I suppose there is no problem on unix)
o  You can't have a JSP page include a file one directory level up (that is
page.jsp using <%@include file="../xxx.jsp"%>) See my post last Friday "jspc
problem when including files (relative)" (no answer yet)
o  When I try to use a combination of uriroot and uribase switches I get an
ArrayOutOfBoundException

I don't understand the usage of both uriroot and uribase switches.  could
someone explain?

How does one go about reporting a bug (or bugs I should say :)?

Other than that, here is the process I follow:

1) generate java files and web.xml:

e:\tomcat321\bin\jspc -uriroot e:\tomcat321\webapps\T1 -d
e:\tomcat321\webapps\T1\web-inf\classes -webxml
e:\tomcat321\webapps\T1\WEB-INF\web.xml -webapp e:\tomcat321\webapps\T1

2) compile java files

3) manually edit web.xml to replace all \ wih /

4) restart tomcat and delete all files in the work directory

5) test my app and check that no java and class files show up in the work
directory

Hope this helps you out.

Thierry