Hello,

I know that Tomcat has seperate classloaders for each webapp, but what I would like to do is have JSPs in one webapp and the classes they use in another. I tried enabling the crossContext feature for the relevant contexts, but that didn't work, the classes weren't found.

Background: we have editors, who write and deploy JSP files, and programmers, who write and deploy classes used by JSP files. I would like to have the editors manage their webapps with the JSP files via the HTML manager and the programmers to do the same for their webapps.

I know that I could put the classes under the shared directory, but then they would not be in a webapp anymore and thus management via the HTML manager would not work anymore. Tomcat would need to be restarted on every change.

I could also have the programmers give JAR files to the editors and have the editors deploy them with their webapps, but then the classes would be duplicated across many webapps and also I don't want the editors handling JAR files.

Is there any solution?

Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Ulrich