AFAIK, Lucene indexes files. How then, do you index a dynamic site? The only files that exist on a dynamic site are source code files. Servlets would never be indexed...how then do you index the content returned from the servlet? Can Lucene do this?

The Lucene site is pretty sparse in information. Not having worked with it, and not knowing every option available when using it, I think there might be some other alternatives. I've used Verity in the past, but that is a commercial product. The other tool I've used in the past to great success is Atomz (http://www.atomz.com). The "trial" is never-ending, so an index of up to 500 "pages" is free. Pages also = URL. The nice thing about Atomz is that it will spider your site and index the content returned, thus it works quite well for dynamic sites.

In other words, it will take a URL like "http://your.domain.com/content.jsp?id=512&view=full"; and index the content returned from that, not the actual text string of the URL.

The only requirement is that you display the Atomz logo on the search results page. You can pay a small annual fee to have that removed. All indexes and collections are kept on the Atomz site, not yours, and you can define the stylesheet and template that is used to display the search results, as well as define the frequency of indexing.

John

Schalk wrote:
Marco

You may to have a look at Lucene (OpenSource Jakarata project) at:
http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/index.html

Kind Regards
Schalk Neethling
Volume4.Development.Multimedia.Branding