What happens if CATALINA_HOME doesn't have the trailing slash?
The script generated CATALINA_TMPDIR has a double slash in it... Tomcat probably isn't generating the classpath properly.

Mercieca David wrote:
I have been a tomcat user for a while and have no trouble installing it on
NT machines.

However we have just moved over to Windows xp. I have just tried installing
version 4.1.27 and 4.1.24 and I get the error attached to this mail.

I have java 1.4.1 and 1.4.2 installed and tried using both and Tomcat is not
happy either way.

btw..ANT version 1.5.x works fine on the same machine.

Anyone had similar issues?

C:\>cd %CATALINA_HOME%

C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24>cd bin

C:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24\bin>catalina run
Using CATALINA_BASE:   c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24\
Using CATALINA_HOME:   c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24\
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: c:\jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24\\temp
Using JAVA_HOME:       c:\j2sdk1.4.1
"c:\j2sdk1.4.1\bin\java"
Exception during startup processing
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(StandardClas
sLoader.java:992)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(StandardClas
sLoader.java:857)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:176)