Tim:

     Before I posted my questions regarding the
problem that I encountered, I have gone through
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/realm-howto.html#Configuring%20a%20Realm

     As long as I have the JDBCRealm in
the server.xml, the Tomcat does not accept
<security-constraint> specified in the application's
web.xml file.  And the Tomcat cannot find my
application.

     Following your advice, I moved the Realm
declaration outside of the <Context> declaration into
the <Host> declaration, and my problem is solved.

     Nonetheles, you also said "refine the <Realm> in
each context where it is needed."  I really want the
JDBCRealm applies to my application only.  My question
is how do I do it?

     Currently, my JDBCRealm looks like:

<Engine>
 <Host>
 <Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
                                    debug="99"
driverName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/artimus?
               user=javauser&amp;password=javadude"
userTable="members" userNameCol="user_name"
                    userCredCol="user_password"
userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="user_role"/>

  <Context>
  </Context>
 </Host>
</Engine>

--Caroline

My configuration in the $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/sever.xml is
shown below:

<Engine>
<Host>
<Context>
<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
debug="99"
 driverName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
 connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/artimus
                 user=javauser&password=javadude"