I am lost.  Right now, I have

<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"

    debug="99" driverName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"

connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/artimus?
    user=javauser&amp;password=javadude"
userTable="members" userNameCol="user_name"
    userCredCol="user_password"
userRoleTable="user_roles" roleNameCol="user_role"/>

in the <Host> element.  The UserDataTable is in the
<Engine> element and is commented out like this:

<!--
<Realm
className="org.apache.catalina.realm.UserDatabaseRealm"
        debug="0" resourceName="UserDatabase"/>
-->

For the JDBCRealm applies to my application only, your
advice is that I should configure within the <Context>
element like this:

<Context path="/myapp" docBase="myapp">
<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
            ..... />

Do you mean that I should also move UserDatabaseRealm
from <Engine> to <Host>?  And I should not comment it
out?

-Caroline
</Context>

--- Adam Hardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On 10/13/2003 07:56 AM Bill Barker wrote:
> > "Caroline Jen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> message

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/realm-howto.html#Configuring%20a%20Realm

> [...]
> application's
> >>web.xml file.  And the Tomcat cannot find my
> >>application.
> >>
> >>     Following your advice, I moved the Realm
> >>declaration outside of the <Context> declaration
> into
> >>the <Host> declaration, and my problem is solved.
> >>
> >>     Nonetheles, you also said "refine the <Realm>
> in
> >>each context where it is needed."  I really want
> the
> >>JDBCRealm applies to my application only.  My
> question
> >>is how do I do it?
> >>

> > If what is below is accurate, then your <Context>
> is configured wrong.  It
> > needs to be:
> >   <Context path="/myapp" docBase="myapp">
> >     <Realm
> className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
> >            ..... />
> >   </Context>
> >
> > You should probably also leave e.g. the
> UserDatabaseRealm configured under
> > the <Host>, so that other Contexts (i.e. admin &
> manager) have a Realm to
> > use.  By configuring your own Realm under your
> <Context>, it will override
> > the one defined in the <Host>.
> >

> As long as you configure a 'manager' role for the
> superuser in your
> realm, then the superuser can happily login to & use
> admin & manager -
> if that fits in with the security requirements of
> course. That's what I
> do. But then I am project manager, chief developer,
> webmaster and DBA
> for my current project (I should say that more
> often, it makes Monday
> mornings great! Just don't tell anyone I'm working
> for myself :) ).
>

> >>     Currently, my JDBCRealm looks like:
> >>
> >><Engine>
> >> <Host>
> >> <Realm
> >>className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
> >>                                    debug="99"
> >>driverName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
>
>>connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/artimus?
> >>
> user=javauser&amp;password=javadude"
> >>userTable="members" userNameCol="user_name"
> >>                    userCredCol="user_password"
> >>userRoleTable="user_roles"
> roleNameCol="user_role"/>
> >>
> >>  <Context>
> >>  </Context>
> >> </Host>
> >></Engine>
> >>
> >>--Caroline
> >>

> >>My configuration in the
> $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/sever.xml is
> >>shown below:
> >>
> >><Engine>
> >><Host>
> >><Context>
> >><Realm
> className="org.apache.catalina.realm.JDBCRealm"
> >>debug="99"
> >> driverName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
> >>
> connectionURL="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/artimus
> >>                 user=javauser&password=javadude"
> >> userTable="members" userNameCol="user_name"

=== message truncated ===