Folks,

Here is the scenario....

1) User logs in and begins a session along with loading some session objects (worker classes)
2) Tomcat is shut down and restarted
3) Same user clicks next "button" on current JSP page (user did not know tomcat was restarted)
a) Session isNew() reports "false" so code thinks all is well to continue..
(Session was persisted.)
b) But stored objects in session are not available (null)
NullPointerException thrown when accessing an object that "should" be there if the entire session was persisted for that user.

Solutions:

A) I found the following post to turn off the default "persistance of the session"

               <!-- Change the manager to PersistentManager to
                               prevent caching of session data -->
               <Manager
                       className="org.apache.catalina.session.PersistentManager"
                       debug="0"
                       saveOnRestart="false">  <!-- THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART -->
                       <Store className="org.apache.catalina.session.FileStore"/>
               </Manager>

Is that still the accepted technique..???

Or...

B) Not loose the stored session objects between restarts, so as to avoid the NullPointerException.. I don't mind that the session is persisted, but the entire session must be persisted and that seems to NOT be the case.
Is that possible????
Does that require further "configuration"?

I have search for this last info, but so far have not looked under the right rock..

Slap up the side of the head appreciated..<G> (be gentle..)

John...